Thursday, January 05, 2006

Blackened Shrimp and Scallops

This appeared on Blurbomat, and was too good to not post!! All commentary comes from DJ Blurb, not Opera-gal.

Recipe: Shrimp and Scallops

Due to many many email requests, here is the recipe I spoke of recently. Unfortunately, I'm not certain where I found this, so I don't know who to credit. The internet is a big place place, apparently. If you invented this recipe, I salute you.

Yield: 4 Servings

* 1 ts Olive oil
* 2 tb Slivered garlic
* 1/2 ts Crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/2 lb Lg shrimp, peeled, deveined
* 1/2 lb Bay scallops
* 1/2 ts Paprika
* 4 tb Chicken broth
* 1 ts Fresh lime juice
* 1/2 c Finely chopped fresh italian parsley
* Salt and pepper

In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.

Add the garlic and saute until it begins to brown.

Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Add the pepper flakes to the skillet and increase the heat to medium high.

Add the garlic, shrimp, scallops, and paprika. Saute for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add the chicken broth and cook for 1 minute.

Remove the shrimp and scallops with a slotted spoon, place on a platter; set aside and keep warm.

Add the lime juice, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste to the pan and just heat through.

Pour the sauce over the shrimp and scallops and serve immediately.

To blacken the shrimp and scallops, put the paprika in first and increase the heat. Let the paprika sit for a bit at the higher temp and then add the shrimp and scallops. You'll need to move fast at this point or else the shrimp will turn to rubber. I have no idea if this is proper blackening, that's just what happened when I was doing it. I forgot to cut the parsley and let the paprika get very hot. The first time I made this, the shrimp was overcooked and it made a huge difference to cook the shrimp just right. If you want a bit more sauce for dipping bread or to cover noodles or rice, add more chicken broth and up the seasonings a pinch or two.

2 Comments:

At 1/05/2006 6:14 AM, Blogger Me said...

YEAH! A NEW POST!

... and one I can use too! I love seafood. :)

 
At 1/05/2006 6:16 PM, Blogger Opera Gal said...

maybe I started a shrimp trend...the bisque looks wonderful

 

Post a Comment

<< Home