Sunday, August 07, 2005

zucchini casserole

This weeks theme is side dishes. I so love this one because I'm tired of the same ole' - same ole'! Uncle Ben is a frequent visitor in my house and I wish he'd just go home! I'm sick of all the pre-packaged, high in fat, crap in a bag you get at the store!

This recipe is from my aunt in Springfield MO. I never really liked zucchini, but you don't really taste it. All the flavors meld together. It actually takes on a sweet flavor. It's really good. You have to try it at least once.

2 TBLSP of oil (any kind)
1 TBLSP chopped garlic ~ I use the jared stuff because I'm lazy and use garlic in just about everything ;)
1 med. purple onion - sliced into half rings
1 can regualr corn (drained)
1 can stewed tomatos (do not drain)
1 med zucchini ( sliced)
salt & pepper to taste - I like lots of pepper (sometimes I add a dash of red pepper flakes)
shredded chedder cheese ('bout a handful)
  • In a skillet, heat oil, brown garlic until fragrent, add onion and cook till soft
  • add corn, tomatos, zucchini and salt & pepper, bring to a boil and simmer till zuchini is soft

Here's where you can change it up a bit, depending on the time you have. If I'm running short on time, I just serve it like it is, out of the skillet. The family LOVES it. However, to finish it off, you can transfer it to a casserole dish and sprinkle on the cheese. Place it in a 375 oven and bake till heated through and melting the cheese. It's soooo good this way also.

Feel free to play with it and add your own touches. Let me know if you come up with something good! Hope you love it. If by chance you don't, I don't wanna know! hehehe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home